News

iPhone battery sparks second fire in two days in Spanish Apple store

Apple’s Calle Colon store in Valencia, Spain was evacuated on Wednesday after an iPhone battery exploded during repair, filling one floor of the building with smoke.

This is the second fire in two days that has been caused by a faulty iPhone battery.
This is the second fire in two days that has been caused by a faulty iPhone battery.

This is the second fire in two days that has been caused by a faulty iPhone battery, after a similar incident took place in Switzerland on Tuesday. An Apple employee received minor burns, and a total of seven people required medical help, though no one had to be hospitalised.

The fire in the Valencia store took hold at 1:30 in the afternoon, according to local media Las Provincias. Firefighters and police were called but reportedly didn’t intervene, as Apple workers managed to air out the store by opening windows and smothering the battery with sand.

No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident, despite the battery exploding.

It has been argued that the two fires could be connected to Apple’s discounted replacement iPhone batteries in the wake of admitting it slows down iPhones with weaker batteries.

Apple’s smartphone competitor Samsung was the subject of a lengthy investigation after 2.5 million Note 7 devices were recalled after thousands of them around the world inexplicably caught fire. Airlines and public transportation systems around have gone on to ban their usage.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GET TAHAWUL TECH IN YOUR INBOX

The free newsletter covering the top industry headlines