The Kepler architecture’s first offerings bring unprecedented technical capabilities to both consumer desktops and notebooks. In the months ahead, it will be rolled out across the company’s full line of GPUs, the company said.
According to NVIDIA the GeForce GTX 680 GPU is the fastest, most efficient GPU ever built, for desktop PC gaming and is available now from the company’s leading add-in card partners. The new lineup of GeForce 600M GPUs puts the “ultra” in ultrabooks by enabling smaller, more powerful notebook designs than were previously possible, representative said.
“The Kepler architecture stands as NVIDIA’s greatest technical achievement to date,” said Jeff Fisher, NVIDIA’s CEO and senior VP of GPU business. “It encapsulates the primary importance we place on power efficiency while delivering unprecedented levels of performance.Gamers will be the first to benefit from Kepler processors, which make gaming a joy. Over the course of the year, the rest of our product line will also shift to Kepler, unleashing new capabilities into the visual, parallel and mobile computing markets.”
Kepler is based on 28-nanometer process technology and succeeds the 40-nm Fermi architecture, which was first introduced into the market in March 2010.
The company also said that when compared with the closest competitive product, the GTX 680 is more than 300% faster in DirectX 11 tessellation performance and up to 43% faster in cutting-edge games such as Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, yet consumes 28% less power. It also provides twice the performance per watt of the GeForce GTX 580, the flagship Fermi-based processor that it replaces, it was reported.
- Built on a new streaming multiprocessor block, known as SMX, that delivers twice the performance per watt of previous-generation products
- Special board components, including acoustic dampeners, high-efficiency heat pipes and custom fins, that deliver a quiet gaming experience
- NVIDIA GPU Boost technology, which dynamically adjusts GPU speeds to maximise gaming performance
- New FXAA and TXAA antialiasing and Adaptive Vsync technologies to enrich visual quality without compromising gaming performance
- Support for up to four separate displays – three of them in 3D – off a single card for a massive 3D gaming experience
- Manufactured on TSMC’s new 28-nm process, with support for PCI-E Gen 3 and DX11.
GeForce 600M GPU Family
- NVIDIA Optimus technology enables extra-long battery life by automatically switching the GPU on and off so it runs only when needed
- NVIDIA Verde notebook drivers provide frequent performance improvements and rock-solid stability
- NVIDIA PhysX engine support brings games to life with realistic physics
- Optional NVIDIA 3D Vision technology automatically converts more than 650 titles into immersive 3D
- Optional NVIDIA 3DTV Play software connects 3D Vision-based notebooks to 3D TVs
- NVIDIA SLI technology links two NVIDIA GTX GPUs to up to double gaming performance
- NVIDIA CUDA architecture supports GPU computing applications