Recognising the growth and impact of ransomware, Trend Micro, has taken new approaches to helping customers defend against ransomware with new offerings.
The company’s new offerings inlclude:
- Ransomware Readiness Assessment that helps businesses of all sizes understand vulnerabilities in their security posture, and provides concrete actions they can take
- Ransomware Removal Tools that help both consumers and businesses that have been impacted by ransomware recover their data
- Product Enhancements to bolster ransomware protection across four key layers of security, and provide enterprise-wide visibility of ransomware
“Trend Micro is actively assessing the threat of ransomware and acting to protect against it,” said Eva Chen, CEO, Trend Micro. “We understand this pervasive form of cyberattack can be debilitating to enterprises, regardless of size or industry, and can cause grave amounts of stress and costs to consumers. Trend Micro business and consumer products have been tuned to deliver the best protection against ransomware. Our ransomware recovery tools and phone hotlines leverage the threat expertise within Trend Micro to deliver always-on support and help customers to prepare for the possibility of an attack, or quickly if they’ve already been hit.”
According to the company, there is no silver bullet when it comes to ransomware protection; it requires a holistic approach and they delives ransomware protection across four key layers:
- Email: Trend Micro delivers deeper inspection than traditional email gateways for both on premise and cloud-based email, such as Microsoft Office 365. This detects and blocks spear phishing emails and attachments or URLs that carry ransomware – the most common way ransomware infects an organization.
- Endpoint: Trend Micro delivers a full range of next-gen endpoint protection capabilities to detect and block ransomware, including the shielding of unpatched vulnerabilities, application control, and behavior monitoring to keep an eye out for suspicious activity such as encryption of multiple files, with the ability to halt encryption in its tracks and isolate the infected endpoint.
- Network: Trend Micro continually monitors the enterprise network with advanced detection capabilities and custom sandboxing across all traffic, ports and protocols to stop ransomware from infiltrating and spreading.
- Server: Trend Micro protects servers, whether physical, virtual or in the cloud, with suspicious activity detection and prevention, vulnerability shielding to stop ransomware from exploiting known server software vulnerabilities and lateral movement detection to prevent ransomware from spreading to other servers.
No size of business is immune to ransomware and that’s why Trend Micro has also launched a small business solution called Worry-Free Services Advanced, delivers capabilities that protect against it:
- Email: Trend Micro detects and blocks malicious emails, attachments and URLs with malware scanning, web reputation and sandbox malware analysis
- Endpoint: Trend Micro provides endpoint protection that includes capabilities specific to ransomware such as behavior monitoring to stop suspicious activity associated with ransomware such as the rapid encryption of multiple files
Worry-Free Services Advanced is designed specifically for small businesses as a cloud-based solution, with simple but powerful protection that minimises day to day management.
The company also warns consumers that ransomware can arrive on their computers from compromised websites, spammed emails, or wrapped in other malware, holding precious files and photos ransom. Trend Micro Security 10 customers are already protected against ransomware.