Extreme Networks, Inc. recently introduced two new solutions designed to help highly distributed enterprise organisations create improved network connectivity, security and application performance.
The AP5020 is a new Wi-Fi 7 Universal access point (AP) that operates on the 6 GHz spectrum and is designed to support high-bandwidth, latency-sensitive applications and IoT devices – creating a more effective way for enterprises to modernize and manage operations. The 4000 Series cloud-managed switches, the latest addition to Extreme’s Universal portfolio, offer faster setup time by eliminating nearly all manual configurations. Paired with ExtremeCloud™ Universal ZTNA, these offer automated onboarding, configuration and policy enforcement to strengthen security as organisations move to a Zero Trust architecture across their network.
Both the AP5020 and 4000 Series switches leverage AIOps (Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations) and machine learning features of the ExtremeCloud IQ cloud management platform to help proactively identify network issues and make recommendations that help reduce IT time to resolution.
The AP5020: A Flexible, Cloud-Managed Wi-Fi 7 Access Point
- The AP5020 is built to support bandwidth-intensive, latency-sensitive applications and IoT devices, delivering improved user experiences and operational efficiency even in high-density environments.
- Built-in dual IoT radios deliver a lower total cost of ownership and remove complexity by supporting multiple IoT use cases simultaneously while elevating performance. Customers can now support multiple IoT devices such as sensors, electronic shelf labels, lighting or asset trackers across multiple IoT protocols from a single access point.
- The AP5020 also offers PoE failover to ensure continued connectivity for mission-critical use cases like healthcare, manufacturing and education environments.
- For added security, the AP offers a unique, dedicated 2×2 security sensor that can be paired with Extreme AirDefense for wireless intrusion prevention system capabilities. This combination gives customers unmatched flexibility, network security and wireless performance and integrates with ExtremeCloud Universal ZTNA.
The 4000 Series Switches: Simple Cloud-Managed Switching
- The new 4000 Series includes the 4120 and 4220 families and extends Extreme’s innovative Universal Switching portfolio. By leveraging ExtremeCloud solutions, the 4000 Series dramatically reduces the time it takes to deploy and manage new switches and includes features such as:
- Instant Stacking: automating setup via a single button across multiple switches;
- Instant Port, eliminating the need for manual port configuration; and
- Instant Secure Port, offering integrated authentication and policy enforcement through ExtremeCloud Universal ZTNA.
The Layer 2 Edge optimized 4120 is available in 24-port and 48-port models with 1/2.5 multi-gigabit and industry-leading 90W PoE support across all access ports, as well as 200Gb+ uplink capacity, making it an ideal wired and PoE power concentrator for high-density environments. The 4220 is a highly flexible enterprise Layer 2 wired edge solution and is available in 8, 12, 24 and 48-port models with gigabit and multi-gigabit (1/2.5/5Gb) access ports, up to 90W PoE and 4 x SFP+ uplink ports.
Scott Day, Director of Network Services, Baylor University
“With cloud-managed Wi-Fi 7 from Extreme, we can continue delivering consistent, secure wireless across our campus while adding new educational resources for students like AR/VR, remote guest lecturers and live video streaming without buffering, lag or an impact on day-to-day operations. The security, bandwidth and lower latency aspects of Wi-Fi 7 give us the peace of mind that when we add new devices to the network, they won’t compromise performance or security. When paired with Extreme AIOps, we get the extra boost of rapid deployment, simple management and reduced IT tasks. The simplicity and flexibility allow us to focus on the experience and not worry about the deployment”.
Bob Laliberte, Principal Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group
“The combination of return-to-office and IoT initiatives is creating demand for robust, reliable and performant Wi-Fi environments. Fortunately, Wi-Fi 7 delivers the requisite speed, density, reliability and low latency to improve the performance of applications and devices, while also enhancing network security. Extreme’s new Wi-Fi 7 access point is another extension of its cloud-led wireless portfolio and will have a significant impact on throughput, particularly in high-density environments. Leveraging Extreme’s cloud-based management will drive greater operational efficiency, and the improved connectivity, reliability and responsiveness of the Wi-Fi 7 access point will ensure better end-user experiences, as well as boost overall productivity across the organisation”.
Alan Weckel, Co-Founder and Technology Analyst, 650 Group
“Extreme’s Universal portfolio is centered on simplicity and flexibility, and the new 4000 series extends that value for both existing customers and new market opportunities. When paired with ExtremeCloud Universal ZTNA, these new cloud-managed switches provide an additional layer of network security and peace of mind when it comes to managing security in a complex, distributed environment. Removing friction and complexity for customers is a key pillar of Extreme’s One Network, One Cloud strategy”.
Nabil Bukhari, Chief Technology and Product Officer and General Manager, Subscription Business at Extreme Networks
“Extreme takes the power of cloud and AI to make secure connectivity simple. Enterprises are more distributed than ever and need the flexibility to add users, devices and applications across their environment without sacrificing time, security or performance. Our new solutions further expand the flexibility of our portfolio and work in concert with our Universal ZTNA solution for a frictionless user experience applied to hybrid work. AIOps in ExtremeCloud IQ leverages explainable ML to further save IT time and money. In the Infinite Enterprise, we’re making it easier than ever to manage, scale and secure the network to drive success”.
Did You Know?
- The AP5020 and 4000 Series switches are eligible under E-Rate, giving U.S. K-12 schools and public libraries access to the next generation of network solutions.
- Extreme recently introduced ExtremeCloud Universal ZTNA, the first network security offering to integrate network, application and device access security within a single solution.