Global SD-WAN provider Aryaka has released its first EMEA edition of the State of SD-WAN Connectivity report that analyses the performance of SD-WAN deployments over the Internet as compared with those delivered over global private networks. The report highlights specific application response times between various European, Middle East, Asia-Pacific and Americas locations, as well as key factors that impact the performance of cloud and SaaS applications.
This research helps IT leaders in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) to evaluate the best underlying connectivity for their SD-WAN deployments to ensure fast, reliable and consistent performance for all on-premises, cloud and SaaS applications, including voice, video, and data. The report reveals significant differences in both average response times and variations in application response times when comparing the performance between SD-WANs that run over the public Internet, and SD-WANs built on a cloud-native private network, such as Aryaka.
From an EMEA perspective, the performance differentials are significant:
- When comparing file transfers, private network-based SD-WANs proved far more consistent than Internet-based SD-WANs. Lower variations in application response times help deliver a more consistent user experience.
- A London-Dubai link had 14.5x less variation using the Aryaka global private network compared to the public Internet.
- Dubai-Dallas was 12.5x less variable on Aryaka’s global private network, while Dubai-Mumbai was 13.7x less variable.
- Frankfurt-Chennai proved 3.2x more consistent on the global private network.
- While the Dubai-Johannesburg link had 96.23% variation in application response times over the Internet, the variation over a global private network was only 0.25%, a huge improvement.
- Global private networks also shrink inter-regional application response times.
- While in-region performance is improved using a global private network with London-Frankfurt links proving 43% faster, inter-regional time improvements were even more impressive.
- Frankfurt-Chennai and Dubai-Dallas links showed around 3x performance improvements.
- Frankfurt-Shanghai and Dubai-Beijing links were almost 10x faster on Aryaka’s global private network compared to the public Internet, while London-Dubai application response times were 22x faster.
“While the Internet can be acceptable for users accessing cloud/SaaS applications within a region, application performance and user experience can deteriorate significantly when greater distances are involved,” said Jason Wells, Aryaka’s vice president, EMEA and APAC. “For global organisations headquartered in EMEA expecting fast and consistent performance from their cloud/SaaS applications regardless of where they are hosted or where business users are located, the results of our EMEA State of SD-WAN Connectivity report should prove useful. IT leaders in global enterprises must deploy an SD-WAN solution with a cloud-native private network, such as Aryaka, if they want to ensure real-time delivery of their mission-critical applications.”
Aryaka’s research also confirmed that there are particular challenges facing EMEA-based organisations, particularly when connecting from EMEA countries to the APAC region over the Internet. Dubai, particularly, proved a challenging destination, for example, with a peak 261% variation when connecting from Dubai to Singapore.