The new blade servers offer strong performance gains and improved efficiencies from the shared power, cooling and network infrastructure, and professional IT services. The new tower and rack servers are built to enhance customer IT infrastructures with enterprise-class capabilities and tailored chassis designs for small and midsize businesses, Dell representatives said.
Dell introduced industry-leading innovations in the PowerEdge 12th generation servers based on input gathered from more than 7,700 customer interactions in 17 countries across four continents, it was reported. The company was the first-to-ship servers based on the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family with the first wave of PowerEdge 12th generation servers in March 2012.
“Dell is experiencing exceptional demand for the first wave of PowerEdge 12th generation servers from customers around the globe looking to power their most demanding workload requirements. We are now pleased to introduce a second wave of 12th generation servers that delivers exceptional value for performance and continues our successful integration of customer feedback and design requirements. Dell is enabling customers to deliver results faster through our tight integration of Dell servers, storage, networking, client and services that take advantage of Dell’s latest innovations resulting from both R&D and key acquisitions of IP,” said Forrest Norrod, VP and GM, Dell Server Solutions
The new PowerEdge rack, tower and blade servers expand on Dell’s commitment to deliver end-to-end solutions optimised for maximum throughput from storage to switch to server to blade enclosure, the company said. With these new PowerEdge servers, customers can experience energy efficiency, scalable storage, networking and security features at an unprecedented price for performance, it added. The new PowerEdge rack, tower and blade servers include Intel Xeon processor E5-2400 and Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 product families.
The PowerEdge R820 is the world’s first four-socket, 2U server with Intel Xeon E5 product family processors, company representatives said. Customers using four socket 4U servers can now save computing space by replacing one HP Proliant DL580 with two Dell PowerEdge R820 servers, for up to 24 more processing cores, 1TB more memory capacity and three times the internal storage density. In addition, the PowerEdge R820 offers an option for four front-accessible, hot-swappable Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs.
According to Dell, the PowerEdge M420 is the world’s only quarter height two-socket blade server, offering extreme computational density, performance and efficiency. The PowerEdge M1000e, the only chassis in the world with the thermal engineering to support individually serviceable, enterprise-class, quarter-height blade servers, holds up to 32 PowerEdge M420s. Customers can stretch their infrastructure budget farther by doubling the nodes per chassis with the greatest 2-socket density server on the planet in the PowerEdge M420 and the Dell Force10 MXL 10 blade switch, sources said. The PowerEdge M420 is designed to adhere to stringent government requirements while providing world class density with no compromise to datacentre availability and performance, they added.
- PowerEdge 12thgeneration wave 2 servers:
- PowerEdge M820 blade server is optimised for maximum scalability, throughput and computational capability in virtualized applications, high-performance computing and scale-out environments.
- PowerEdge M520 blade server can deliver exceptional power efficiency and extraordinary price for performance for mainstream business applications.
- PowerEdge M420 blade server can deliver maximum node density or maximum performance per chassis, with no compromise to availability PowerEdge R320 1-socket, 1U delivers no-compromise RAS features along with powerful performance and expandability for web hosting and serving.
- PowerEdge R820 rack server optimised for dense virtualization and scalable database applications.
- PowerEdge R520 2-socket, 2U rack server can deliver powerful performance to drive mid-tier business applications and mainstream virtualization.
- PowerEdge R420 2-socket, 1U rack server can deliver double-down density, powerful performance and scalability for compute-intense applications, while keeping cool with Fresh Air.
- PowerEdge R320 1-socket, 1u rack server can deliver no-compromise RAS features along with powerful performance and expandability for web hosting and serving.
- PowerEdge T420 2-socket tower server can deliver performance, capacity and high availability features to drive businesses and organisations forward.
- PowerEdge T320 1-socket tower server can deliver performance and room for growth along with enterprise-class RAS features to help make businesses and organisations more productive and effective.